Translate

24 April 2013

Submitting a Novel Part III

If, like us, you choose not to self-publish, you have two routes available. You can hire and agent or you can solicit a publishing company.

We would like to hire an agent for this book. The primary reason is because we are not willing to sign away our movie rights. This is not because we want to make more money, but rather because we want control of the movie. Although directly soliciting a publisher does not mean we have to sign away our movie rights, it makes it more difficult to retain them without the professional help of an agent.

Many times movie rights are sold at the signing of a book contract. Frequently, this can cause a great book to have a horrible movie. If I (Jennifer) did not have the movie/theater background that I do, I may feel that leaving the movie to the professionals would be best. However, I feel confident in my degree and the ability I have to create good theatrical work.

That being said, I may have the ability to write a screenplay and the software to do it, but I would leave it to someone else. I just want a hand in picking who that someone is.

No comments:

Post a Comment